Houston, Texas is known for its strong economy, with a diverse range of industries and a thriving small business community. The Small Business Administration’s (SBA) 7(a) loan program has played a significant role in supporting this community, providing crucial financing for small businesses to start and grow. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the impact of the 7(a) program on economic growth in Houston, the small business ecosystem in the city, and the top industries receiving SBA loans.
According to the SBA’s 7(a) loan database, Houston ranked as the top city in Texas for 7(a) loan approvals in 2021, with 2,661 loans approved for a total of $745,631,600. The program has had a significant impact on economic growth in the city, providing financing for small businesses to start, expand, and create jobs.
The 7(a) program offers a range of benefits for small businesses, including longer repayment terms, lower down payments, and competitive interest rates. These benefits have made it easier for small businesses in Houston to access the financing they need to succeed.
Houston’s small business ecosystem is diverse and vibrant, with a wide range of industries represented. According to a report by the Greater Houston Partnership, the city is home to over 400,000 small businesses, which make up 99.7% of all businesses in the city.
Some of the top industries for small businesses in Houston include healthcare, construction, professional and technical services, retail, and hospitality. These industries have received significant support from the 7(a) loan program, which has helped small businesses in these sectors to grow and thrive.
In addition to the 7(a) program, Houston has a number of organizations dedicated to supporting small businesses in the city. These organizations offer a range of services, including business consulting, networking opportunities, and access to funding resources.
According to the SBA, the top industries for SBA loans in Houston include:
- Healthcare and Social Assistance – 353 loans approved for a total of $90,847,600
- Construction – 321 loans approved for a total of $132,041,700
- Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services – 270 loans approved for a total of $74,472,100
- Retail Trade – 212 loans approved for a total of $42,289,900
- Accommodation and Food Services – 202 loans approved for a total of $33,949,800
These industries represent a significant portion of the small business community in Houston and have received significant support from the 7(a) loan program.
Overall, the small business community in Houston is thriving, with a diverse range of industries and organizations dedicated to supporting small businesses. The 7(a) loan program has played a significant role in supporting economic growth in the city, providing financing for small businesses to start and grow.
These Houston SBA loan providers can help you take your business to new heights by providing finances through the various programs offered by the Small Business Administration. You could get an SBA 7(a) loan in Houston to start or expand a small business. These are the most active SBA lenders in Houston:
Houston SBA Lenders
|Rank||Houston Lender||Headquarters||# Loans||Avg Loan||Avg Interest|
|1||Wells Fargo||Sioux Falls, SD||35||$287,860||7.4%|
|2||Wallis Bank||Wallis, TX||32||$1,642,272||5.0%|
|3||Comerica Bank||Dallas, TX||26||$471,469||4.8%|
|4||PNC Bank||Wilmington, DE||21||$489,714||7.2%|
|5||Frost Bank||San Antonio, TX||20||$1,426,710||5.4%|
|6||BancorpSouth Bank||Tupelo, MS||19||$947,042||5.8%|
|7||Citizens Bank||Elizabethton, TN||16||$2,290,250||5.6%|
|8||Allegiance Bank||Houston, TX||15||$1,102,907||5.4%|
|9||Newtek Small Business Finance||Lake Success, NY||15||$900,167||6.0%|
|10||United Midwest Savings Bank||De Graff, OH||15||$377,867||5.9%|
Houston Small Business Loan Resources
Small businesses in Houston have access to a range of organizations that can provide support and consultation on financing and growing their businesses. From government agencies to nonprofit organizations, there are many resources available to help small business owners in the city. In this article, we’ll highlight some of the top organizations that small businesses in Houston can turn to for consultation on business financing and growth.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Houston District Office – The SBA is a federal agency that provides support and resources for small businesses across the country. The Houston District Office offers a range of services for small businesses, including business counseling, loan programs, and government contracting assistance.
- SCORE Houston – SCORE is a nonprofit organization that provides free business mentoring and education to small business owners. SCORE Houston offers one-on-one mentoring, workshops, and webinars on topics such as business planning, marketing, and financial management.
- LiftFund – LiftFund is a nonprofit organization that provides small business loans and resources to entrepreneurs in Houston and across Texas. They offer a range of loan programs, including microloans, startup loans, and SBA loans, as well as business training and technical assistance.
- Houston Minority Supplier Development Council (HMSDC) – The HMSDC is a nonprofit organization that promotes the growth and development of minority-owned businesses in Houston. They offer certification services, networking opportunities, and access to corporate procurement opportunities.
- Houston Community College (HCC) Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program – The Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program is a partnership between HCC and the Goldman Sachs Foundation that provides small business owners with business education, access to capital, and networking opportunities. The program is designed to help small businesses grow and create jobs in the Houston area.
- Women’s Business Center (WBC) – The WBC is a nonprofit organization that provides training, counseling, and resources to women entrepreneurs in Houston. They offer services such as business planning, financial management, and marketing, as well as access to funding resources.
- Houston Technology Center (HTC) – The HTC is a nonprofit organization that provides resources and support to technology and innovation-based startups in Houston. They offer programs such as accelerator programs, mentorship, and funding resources to help startups grow and succeed.
Overall, small businesses in Houston have access to a range of organizations that can provide support and consultation on business financing and growth. Whether you’re looking for mentoring, financing, or networking opportunities, these organizations can help you take your business to the next level.
Houston Small Business Incentives
Houston is a great place to start a small business, and luckily there are many business incentive programs available to help entrepreneurs get started and grow their businesses. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the organizations offering business incentives and specific programs available to small businesses in Houston.
- Houston Business Development Inc. (HBDi) – The HBDi offers several incentive programs to encourage small business growth and job creation in Houston. One program is the Revolving Loan Fund, which provides financing to small businesses for the purchase of equipment, inventory, and other business expenses. Another program is the Small Business Microloan Program, which offers loans up to $50,000 to small businesses that have been in operation for at least one year.
- Houston Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) Business Center – The Houston MBDA Business Center provides consulting services and access to capital for minority-owned businesses in Houston. They offer services such as business plan development, financial analysis, and assistance with securing funding. Additionally, they have partnerships with local banks and lending institutions to provide access to capital for minority-owned businesses.
- Houston Angel Network – The Houston Angel Network (HAN) is a group of angel investors that provide funding to startups and early-stage companies in Houston. They offer several investment opportunities throughout the year, and their members also provide mentorship and guidance to the companies they invest in.
- Houston Technology Center (HTC) – The HTC offers several programs and resources to support technology startups in Houston. Their programs include the Acceleration Program, which provides mentorship, resources, and funding to early-stage technology startups, and the Ignition Program, which offers training and resources to entrepreneurs to help them develop their business ideas.
- Greater Houston Partnership – The Greater Houston Partnership (GHP) is a business organization that works to promote economic growth and development in the Houston region. They offer several programs to support small businesses, including the Small Business Development Committee, which provides resources and support to small businesses, and the Business Assistance Center, which offers guidance and support to entrepreneurs starting or expanding their businesses.
- Texas Enterprise Fund – The Texas Enterprise Fund is a state-level incentive program that provides grants to businesses that create jobs and invest in Texas. The program is designed to attract businesses to Texas and help existing businesses expand their operations in the state.
In addition to the above programs, there are many other business incentive programs available in Houston. Some of the top industries for receiving SBA loans in Houston include healthcare, construction, and professional services. As a small business owner in Houston, it’s important to research and take advantage of the available resources and programs to help your business succeed.
In conclusion, Houston offers a variety of business incentive programs and resources to support small businesses. Whether you’re looking for financing, mentorship, or guidance, there are organizations and programs available to help. Be sure to take advantage of these resources and take your small business to the next level!
Here’s a tip: Instead of searching for “business loans near me” or “SBA lenders near me,” expand your search. You probably weren’t aware that in some cases, the best banks for Houston SBA loans may not even be based in Houston! Nationwide preferred SBA lenders provide financing to businesses across the country. SbaLenders.com can connect you with both local and nationwide Houston SBA lenders to help you secure the right loan for your business